Thursday, June 11, 2015

Watching A Machine Turn This Wavy Rod Is Soothingly Hypnotic

SHARE
Advertisement
It never ceases to amaze me how precisely machines can create things. They're so much steadier and smarter than my stupid, clumsy meat-hands. I could watch a robot carve up a piece of sheet metal with a laser all day. It's just so tidy, and the robot never seems to guide it in quite the way I would expect. 

Okay, so maybe that level of precision and repetition when armed with lasers is how the robots are going to become our overlords, but let's face it, they have a lot of tools at their disposal. If they don't use laser beams, maybe they'll find something more subtle, like hypnosis. Don't think it can happen? Check out the video below.

You might want to set this up on a loop so you can just keep watching it all day, or put it on before bed. I definitely caught my eyelids drooping and my breathing slowing as I watched the wavy rod go around and around. Even the steady hum of the machine works as white noise to lull you off to dreamland. Hello new sleep aid, goodbye productivity! It makes you wonder if making something like this would be dangerous for the machine's operator, don't you think? I wouldn't want to fall asleep on the job turning a lathe!

Advertisement
SHARE

Author: verified_user

0 comments: