Friday, February 13, 2015

This Class President Was Suspended For Wearing THIS Khaki Skirt To School

SHARE
Seventeen-year-old Carey Burgess is an accomplished student: she is a recipient of the Palmetto Fellows, student body president, and a junior marshal at her high school in South Carolina.

However, on a day when she dressed up for a Teacher Cadet Lesson, she was left crying and suspended from school.

The reason? Her skirt, which was apparently “too short.”

The Beaufort High student didn’t take the suspension lightly and retaliated with a passionate open letter that shared her side of the story.

It wasn’t long before the internet heard Carey’s story and supported her for taking a stand…

"I learned something very important about myself: I am a whore."

Carey wrote this line in irony within her open letter on Instagram.

“As I was walking down the hallway, I heard a voice behind me. ‘Your skirt is too short. You need to go to in-school suspension and then go home.’ Thank you, Mrs. Woods. Thank you for teaching me that looking good for school is NOT appropriate. Thank you for letting me know that while I may think that I am dressing up for my Teacher Cadet lesson, I am in fact dressing to go to a night club or the whore house.”

This is the outfit that got Carey suspended.

It was a skirt Carey claims she has worn many times before without any problems. On that particular day, however, she was not just sent home for wearing the khaki skirt. She was also publicly shamed.

“Thank you for bringing me to tears in front of my friends and classmates because you do not have the decency to pull me aside and explain the problem.” Carey continued, voicing her anger at how the entire situation was handled.

Although it was the second half of her letter that showed her frustration with the realproblem that needed to be addressed…

“Maybe our society isn't yet advanced enough to handle 3 inches of my thigh…”

“This is a patriarchal society and I am a woman ... Maybe instead of worrying about my skirt, Beaufort High should take notice of its incompetent employees, and sexist leaders."

"Yes, I am a woman. I am woman with thighs, a butt, and a brain."


At only 17, Carey took a stand about an important topic many girls can relate to: body shaming. She was able to identify the misogynistic views that she often feels subjected to, and she allowed others who have felt shame to speak out about their experiences too.

Her post on Instagram has received close to 900 comments, with other users applauding Carey for speaking up.

It isn’t the first time we’ve heard of women being slammed for outfits seen as “inappropriate” or “distracting” and it probably won’t be the last – but by speaking up, it’s a step in the right direction.

Main image via Instagram / @mynameiscarey
Collage image via Instagram / @mynameiscarey

Advertisement
SHARE

Author: verified_user

0 comments: